23 May 2008

German Puppet Master celebrated

German puppet master - designer, builder and author, Hans jürgen Fettig's famous 1973 book Glove And Rod Puppets, A Handbook of Design and Technique is one of our greatest puppetry books. I don't think that this puppet master has been given the acknowledgment he deserves for his influence on modern puppetry. I know many puppeteers who have been much influenced by Fettig's unique designs, innovative use of cardboard and household odds and ends to create incredible puppet designs. If you are interested in finding an old copy of this book, you can try contacting Ray DaSilva's Puppet Books Online.

In the late nineties, I was fortunate enough to interview this puppeteer in Charleville-Meziers, France. He had already been living in France for a number of years and I filmed this private masterclass in an interview which he did for me in French. Now for the first time, I would like to share this unique short interview with you here. Enjoy!

No comments: